I’ve been thinking a lot about happiness lately. Not just because it’s the subject of my book, either.  Since the arduous task of editing is done, I actually have a few minutes of the day to get lost in thoughts that aren’t related to plot structure or character development. Now that Athena’s story is complete, now that she has found her happiness, I’ve found myself focusing on my own happiness in a new way.  I’m in a much different place in my life than I was when I started writing Flawed Happiness five years ago, when I was working two jobs and childless and driving to another state on my days off to visit my husband. I feel like I can finally take a breath. In this place between the book release and baby {and book} #2, I’m able to take a few moments to think about everything that has happened in my life recently and make sense of it. Evaluate the positives and negatives, what’s helped me to grow and what I’ve had to let go of for my own good.

Specifically, I’ve been thinking about what brings me happiness in my everyday life. Not just the profound choices, but also the simple, seemingly superficial things that undoubtedly make the day a little better. Here are ten things that come to mind, in no particular order:

1. Snuggling in bed with my daughter first thing in the morning
2. A hot latte or cup of tea (edit to “iced” in the summertime and “wine” in the evenings, when I’m not pregnant)
3. Sunshine on my face
4. Receiving a text message or email from a good friend. I am living in a temporary situation right now where I don’t know many people. It’s nice to hear from someone familiar, even if it’s about something silly
5. Settling into the couch with my husband at night, watching one of our TV shows, and sharing a dessert
6. My toddler’s naptime (for those few minutes a day to myself that I spoke of earlier)
7. Eating a good dinner every night. Most of my other meals are relatively light, so I look forward to enjoying a satisfying meal at the end of each day
8. Taking a hot shower while listening to my favorite music
9. The way that my new essential oil diffuser makes a room smell. It’s so therapeutic.
10. Chocolate. More times a day than I’m willing to admit.

What kind of things bring you happiness in the everyday? Comment below for a chance to win an autographed copy of Flawed Happiness. Contest ends March 19, 2015 at 11:59 pm.

Picture

Comments

tonia long
03/08/2015 3:46pm

my daily happiness is simple. Every aspect except maybe the whinning about be a mom brings me such joy. Waking up everyday is hapiness .

Eliana Garry
03/08/2015 3:58pm

Seeing my kids smile makes my day everyday. Watching them interact with each other and play off each others giggles.

Dana
03/08/2015 5:07pm

I love coming home after work to find my kitchen spotlessly cleaned by my hubby. I love the first sip of a piping hot coffee in the morning before anyone else wakes up. I love planting seeds and picking veggies, and all of the gardening stages in between. I love listening to my kids laugh with each other. There are so many things in a day to be happy about. It's all in how you look at it. :)

amy
03/08/2015 5:20pm

My children are my biggest source of daily joy, along with soft sheets, a perfect cup of coffee, the beauty of nature...

03/11/2015 12:36pm

Happiness is a font I can read. (Seriously, you're going to lose all the old folks like me with white type on a light background.)
Happiness is also thawing gutters. Yaaaaaaay.

Cori
03/11/2015 1:17pm

Sandra, I have tried to no avail to change this horrible font. The host doesn't give me the option. Sorry about that! And great answer ;) Spring is coming, it must be!!

Donna
03/11/2015 12:39pm

Looking forward to reading the whole book.

Nandini
03/11/2015 1:59pm

Happiness is ... the day before the whole family comes down with the flu.

Happiness is ... snagging the last piece of pie.

Happiness is ... nobody telling you to be home by 6 pm or else.

Happiness is ... knowing you're going on vacation next week.

Happiness is ... waking up from a dream of childhood to find you're an adult, and nobody is actually trying to force that ugly frock on you.

Hey, Cori, if you can't change the font, is there any way you can change the background color? A dark grey would suit your book & theme well. It might be easier that way, it's just one color setting and you'll be done.

Jenn B.
03/11/2015 4:52pm

So excited and happy for you!! Love the topic of this blog as it is something so important to reflect on and acknowledge! :)

Happiness for me in a general sense, is my children, my amazing hubby, and my family (extended)!

More specifically, the ability for our son to persevere through all the obstacles life has thrown him and to continue to have a pure joy and appreciation for life is an amazing thing to witness. With every new vowel sound or letter sound mastered, a glimmer of hope illuminates my soul! Happiness is knowing that someday, we may be able to hear the words "I love you!" escape from his beautiful lips!

Happiness is having my not-so-little girl home with me for Spring Break! :)

Happiness is also hearing the wonderful news that some of our nearest and dearest friends will be moving down to FL very soon! *wink wink* The thought of our little ones growing up together while we grow old(ish) together is just awesome!

I could literally go on and on about all the incredible blessings in my life that make me happy....but those above are among my favorites! ♡

Jordan
03/11/2015 6:54pm

Happiness is the first smiles of the day that I receive while waking up my children each day. A moment of silent appreciation to start the soon to be hectic and sometimes frantic morning routine of getting 2 children to daycare and myself to work on time:)

Donna
03/11/2015 8:31pm

The things that make me happy are very simple. I love to feel the warm sun and prefer that feeling to be by water. I sm happy when my children are doing well and are happy. I am happy when I can help another person in some way. I am also happy when I set a goal and accomplish that goal.

Cori
03/11/2015 9:22pm

These are all such beautiful answers!!! Thank you for your thoughtful responses!

03/12/2015 11:54am

I think I'm still trying to figure out what true happiness is for me personally but there are certainly many things and people that bring me happiness throughout my days. A few examples would be:

1. Planning a short getaway or vacation and the excitement that comes along with looking forward to breaking away from my busy Silicon Valley life.

2. Kissing my boyfriend.

3. Crossing something off my (never-ending) to-do list.

4. Spending time with family and friends.

5. Laughing and cracking jokes. "Getting on" each other or picking on each other but knowing that it's all in good light hearted fun.

6. My Young Living essential oils - not only the aroma but also the way they make me feel. At times, I am very much healed and at peace when diffusing or inhaling.

7. My heel and shoe collection. (Hey, I've worked hard on it over the years and love the way wearing them makes me feel!) :-)

8. The ocean, the sound of waves, being in the water and feeling the sun on my body. (Ok, and my bikini collection.)

9. Self awareness. Being able to acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses and constantly work to grow as a person and develop my own self.

10. Receiving text messages/snaps/emails/facebook messages from family and friend near and far. It always brightens my day :-)

11. Completing a workout. It's hard work so when it's over I feel accomplished, healthier and happier.

03/13/2015 9:55am

My 3 fur babies bring me immense joy each & every day! I awaken to unconditional love as soon as I open my eyes. And sometimes before!!

Tracey
03/19/2015 5:55am

What makes me happy everyday is my family, music, exercise, self-reflection. I love watching my kids and how they are growing into their own little selves with their own ideas of the world. Music makes me happy. It touches your heart and soul and can get you through anything you dealing with plus having a crazy dance party in the kitchen is so FUN!! Exercise keeps me calm....it makes me focused and helps take the stress away. Self reflection and personal developent helps me stay happy by making me more aware of what my heart wants. It keeps me grounded and centered.

Cori
03/19/2015 9:34pm

Congratulations, Jordan, you won an autographed copy of Flawed Happiness! Thank you and everyone else who entered for visiting my blog and leaving such thoughtful responses.

Comments are closed.